Thursday, June 26, 2008

A bulldog

A commission I just finished. I didn't count the total hours but I believe this is the longest I have ever had to work on a scratchboard. Balentine the Bulldog turned out to be a lot more challenging than I first perceived. I'm glad I had the practice on short fur rendering or I would not have been sure how to make the short furs on a bulldog look even slightly believable. I'm pleased with the final product but at the same time I feel it's missing something. I think it may be the fact that Balentine is all white and I'm not used to working with so little color. All he needed was pink highlights for his ears and some of the fur. Any ideas or leave as it is?

Oh, and for a change of pace I am including a scan of the original photograph I worked from as reference.
Photograph:

Medium: Scratchboard with water color wash

No comments: